Site icon Cyprus inform

Iran reviews US position as Trump warns of renewed strikes if no Gulf war deal is reached

Trump 9

Tehran, Iran. Iran said it is reviewing Washington’s latest position on ending the Gulf war, as President Donald Trump warned of renewed military strikes within days if Tehran does not agree to a deal.


Iran says it is reviewing US views

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran had received US views and was reviewing them, according to Iranian state-run agency Nour News. Pakistan, which hosted peace talks last month and is acting as a conduit between the two sides, continues to mediate, with several rounds of communication having taken place. Pakistan’s interior minister was in Tehran on Wednesday.

Trump issues ultimatum and timeline

Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews that military action could resume quickly if the United States did not get what it considered the right answers. Asked how long he would wait, he said it could be a few days and that it could move very quickly.

Earlier on Thursday, Trump said the United States was in the final stages with Iran and that the outcome would be either a deal or actions he described as “a little bit nasty,” adding that he would ideally like to see fewer people killed.

Revolutionary Guards warn of wider conflict

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards issued a warning of their own, saying that if aggression against Iran were repeated, the promised regional war would extend beyond the region.

Iran’s latest offer and stalled talks

Iran submitted its latest offer to Washington this week. Iran’s descriptions indicate it largely repeats terms Trump has previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.

Six weeks after a fragile ceasefire came into force, talks have shown little progress. Oil prices have risen, stoking inflation fears and weighing on the global economy, while Trump faces domestic pressure ahead of November’s midterm elections, with his approval rating approaching its lowest level since he returned to the White House.

Strait of Hormuz transit remains below pre-war levels

The Strait of Hormuz, which carried a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments before the war, remains at a fraction of its former throughput. On Wednesday, Iran released a map outlining a “controlled maritime zone” at the strait and said transit would require authorisation from a newly established body, potentially including access fees that Washington has said would be unacceptable.

Two Chinese supertankers carrying around four million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday, while a South Korean tanker with two million barrels of Kuwaiti crude was also crossing in cooperation with Iran. Shipping monitor Lloyd’s List said at least 54 vessels transited the strait last week, about double the previous week. Iran said 26 ships crossed in the preceding 24 hours, compared with 125 to 140 daily passages recorded before the war.

Stated war aims by Trump and Netanyahu

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said their war aims included curtailing Iran’s support for regional militias, dismantling its nuclear programme, destroying its missile capabilities and creating conditions for Iranians to topple their rulers.


What outcome do you expect from the current mediation efforts between Iran and the United States?

Exit mobile version