Nicosia, Cyprus. Israeli naval forces intercepted vessels from the Global Sumud Flotilla in the Levant on Monday morning in an operation carried out off the coast of Cyprus. The flotilla was carrying activists and aid bound for the Gaza Strip.
Interception at sea
The flotilla was attempting to challenge Israel’s naval blockade and deliver humanitarian supplies when Israeli commandos boarded at least one of the ships. Video shared online showed personnel boarding vessels at sea while communications from parts of the convoy were disrupted.
Flotilla statement and warnings
The Global Sumud Flotilla said in a statement that “two warships were spotted around the boats in the Mediterranean” and added that “we lost contact with 23 boats of the flotilla, which was attacked by the Israeli army in international waters”. Organisers said they had been warned earlier by Israel to alter course and reported being told that they “must change course and return immediately”.
Israeli position on aid deliveries
Israeli authorities have previously described similar flotilla missions as publicity exercises and have said organisers were asked to transfer any humanitarian cargo through official channels for inspection and delivery. Officials have argued this is necessary under the system controlling imports into the Gaza Strip.
Detentions and transfer reports
Israeli sources and reports cited in regional media said arrests were carried out at sea, with claims that around 100 people were detained and would be transferred to the port of Ashdod for processing.
What do you think should happen next to the detained activists and the flotilla’s cargo?
