Paphos, Cyprus. Serious concerns were raised on Thursday over conditions at the morgue of Paphos general hospital after acting mayor Angelos Onisiforou said refrigeration units used to preserve bodies have been out of operation for several days.
Refrigeration malfunction and reported impact
In a written statement, Onisiforou said the malfunction has created significant difficulties for families and funeral homes and has disrupted the timely handling of burials. He described conditions at the facility as offensive to “human dignity” and warned of potential public health concerns due to odours from decomposition.
Absence of district pathologist and transfers to Nicosia
Onisiforou criticised the continued absence of a district pathologist in the Paphos district, which he said requires bodies to be transported to Nicosia for autopsies before being returned to Paphos for burial procedures. He said the process places an additional psychological burden on grieving families and leads to delays and increased financial costs due to repeated transfers and operational expenses.
Calls for local capacity and response to complaints
“This process is unacceptable,” he said, adding that a pathological centre had previously operated in Paphos and functioned “more efficiently and with greater respect for citizens”. He also referred to recent complaints about what he described as “under functioning facilities, maintenance failures and unsuitable storage conditions for bodies.”
Demand to end intercity transfers
Onisiforou demanded that authorities end the transfer of bodies between cities for postmortem procedures, arguing that Paphos should not continue to be treated as “a second-class area”. “Respect for humans does not stop at death,” he concluded.
How do you think authorities should address the morgue conditions and postmortem capacity in Paphos?
