Washington, United States. Tulsi Gabbard said on Friday she is resigning as President Donald Trump’s director of national intelligence after her husband was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer. Her resignation is effective June 30, according to Fox News Digital.
Resignation and timing
Gabbard advised Trump of her intention to step down during an Oval Office meeting on Friday, Fox News Digital reported. In her resignation letter posted on X, she told Trump she was “deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half.”
Health-related reason cited
Gabbard cited her husband, Abraham Williams, saying he had been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer. “I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming post,” she said.
White House response and differing accounts
A source familiar with the matter said Gabbard had been forced out by the White House. Davis Ingle, a White House spokesperson, said on X that Gabbard was stepping aside in light of her husband’s diagnosis and described her as “an America First patriot who has served this country faithfully and extremely well over the last 16 months.”
Interim appointment announced by Trump
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, Aaron Lukas, would serve as acting director of national intelligence. Trump said Gabbard had done “a great job,” and that with her husband diagnosed with bone cancer, she “rightfully” wants to be with him as they “fight a tough battle together.”
Past differences on Iran
Trump has previously hinted at differences with Gabbard on their approach to Iran, saying in March that she was “softer” than him on curbing Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
What do you think the leadership transition will mean for U.S. intelligence policy in the coming months?
