Site icon Cyprus inform

UN releases $60 million in emergency funds to help contain Ebola outbreak in Congo

Ebola

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo. The United Nations is releasing around $60 million from an emergency fund to help contain an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and will deploy more staff, its aid chief said on Friday.


Emergency funding and staffing

Tom Fletcher said on X that the United Nations needs to get ahead of the outbreak. He said operating environments are difficult for lifesaving work and cited conflict and high population movement.

Strain and detection timeline

Experts believe the Bundibugyo strain of the virus, for which there is no vaccine, circulated undetected for around two months in Congo’s Ituri province before being identified last week.

Reported impact

The outbreak has so far resulted in 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases.


What steps do you think are most important to contain the outbreak in Ituri province?

Exit mobile version