Site icon Cyprus inform

Vance says U.S. troop deployment to Poland delayed, not a withdrawal from Europe

U.S. Vice President JD Vance attends a press briefing at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., May 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Washington, United States. Vice President JD Vance said a U.S. troop deployment to Poland had been delayed but said it was not accurate to describe the move as a withdrawal of troops from Europe.


Delay in Poland deployment

Speaking at a White House briefing on Tuesday, Vance said the United States had not reduced troop levels in Poland by 4,000 troops. He said the change involved delaying a deployment that was scheduled to go to Poland, describing it as a standard delay in rotation.

U.S. review of troop presence in Europe

Vance said the United States wants to encourage Europe to “take more ownership” of the common defense. He said the administration was not discussing pulling every American troop out of Europe, but shifting resources in a way he said would maximize American security.

The United States has been reviewing its troop presence in Europe and has long been expected to scale it back following demands from Trump that NATO take a larger role in the defense of Europe. The Pentagon has not yet detailed how it envisions future troop laydowns across the continent.

Criticism from lawmakers

Reports about the change in the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland have drawn sharp criticism from U.S. lawmakers concerned about the potential for Trump to abandon allies.


How do you think changes in U.S. troop deployments in Europe could affect NATO’s defense posture?

Exit mobile version