Israel and Lebanon shortlist countries for Hezbollah disarmament verification force
Israel and Lebanon have identified Britain, Italy, Switzerland and Indonesia as potential contributors to a mechanism to verify Hezbollah’s disarmament.

Beirut, Lebanon. Israel and Lebanon have agreed on Britain, Italy, Switzerland and Indonesia as potential contributors to a proposed mechanism that could deploy foreign troops to Lebanon to verify Hezbollah’s disarmament, sources familiar with the matter said.
The shortlist emerged during U.S.-mediated talks in Rome last week on implementing a June agreement linking Israel’s phased withdrawal from Lebanon to Hezbollah’s disarmament.
Potential roles
The countries could help define the mechanism’s scope, provide personnel to oversee its implementation, or contribute troops to observe or participate in inspections verifying disarmament, three sources said.
A Lebanese official told Reuters on Friday that Israel and Lebanon had agreed on a list of possible troop-contributing countries but did not identify them, saying the United States would decide which would participate.
June framework
Israel and Lebanon agreed in late June to a U.S.-mediated framework as part of Washington’s efforts to end the latest conflict between Israel and Hezbollah.
The conflict began in March after the Iran-backed Lebanese armed group attacked Israel following the U.S. and Israeli war against Iran.
A source with direct knowledge of the discussions said talks on the shortlisted countries were at an early stage but that there was cautious optimism the effort would proceed.
Southern Lebanon inspections
Israel’s military occupies what it describes as a security zone extending 10 kilometres into southern Lebanon and has said it will not withdraw unilaterally until Hezbollah is disarmed.
Under the proposed mechanism, villages in southern Lebanon would be inspected and verified as free of weapons, two sources said. Israel wants inspections to include private homes.
Lebanon’s army has resisted pressure over the past year to search private properties, citing concerns that such searches could raise tensions in the south and with Hezbollah. Security officials have told Reuters that warrants would be needed for each house.
The Israeli prime minister’s office, the Lebanese presidency, and the British, Italian and Indonesian foreign ministries did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Switzerland’s foreign ministry had no immediate comment.
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


