Wednesday, 19 August Cyprus Nicosia +26°
News

EU support seen as shield for Great Sea Interconnector, Cyprus spokesman says

Cyprus says EU backing strengthens the Great Sea Interconnector as seabed surveys between Cyprus and Crete are set to resume.

EU support seen as shield for Great Sea Interconnector, Cyprus spokesman says
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Nicosia, Cyprus. European Union support for the Great Sea Interconnector project provides a “shield” against expected opposition from Turkey, government spokesman Konstantinos Letymbiotis said on Wednesday. He said the project has a strong geopolitical dimension and is closer than ever to completion.


Project progress

Letymbiotis told CyBC radio that the project had faced significant technical and economic challenges during its planning and implementation, but said substantial progress had recently been made.

He said progress had been supported by French asset management firm Meridiam’s purchase of a majority stake in the project earlier this month.

Meridiam has extensive experience in such projects, Letymbiotis said, noting that it built the cable directly connecting the electricity grids of the United Kingdom and Germany.

Planned seabed surveys

Energy Minister Michael Damianos told CyBC television that a navtex notice would be issued in the coming weeks to inform seafarers of planned seabed surveys for the laying of cables between Cyprus and Crete.

The surveys will be conducted by a French ship rather than the Italian research vessel Ievoli Reulme, which carried out earlier surveys for the interconnector in 2024.

Greece’s independent transmission system operator Admie, which owned the project before the Meridiam buyout, said about 60 per cent of the seabed surveys had been completed.

Disputed waters

Admie said the remaining 40 per cent of the affected seabed lies in waters claimed by both Greece and Turkey.

The competing claims have previously hampered efforts to conduct surveys between Cyprus and Greece. In 2024, Turkish naval vessels were deployed after the Ievoli Reulme entered waters Turkey considers its own.

The Turkish vessels escorted the research ship away, while Greece dispatched naval vessels to the area, including the frigates Nikiforos Fokas and Aittitos.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news