Wednesday, 19 August Cyprus Nicosia +27°
News

EXIT withdraws from planned Nexus festival at Kyrenia Castle

Serbian music company EXIT has withdrawn from the planned Nexus electronic music festival at Kyrenia Castle, according to Elam MEP Geadis Geadi.

EXIT withdraws from planned Nexus festival at Kyrenia Castle
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Kyrenia, Cyprus. Serbian music company EXIT has withdrawn from the planned Nexus electronic music festival at Kyrenia Castle, Elam MEP Geadis Geadi said on Wednesday, citing diplomatic and political pressure over the event.

The festival had been scheduled for September 18 as part of the EXIT World Tour.


Planned performances

International electronic music acts due to perform included Swedish DJ and producer Eric Prydz, Italian duo Mathame, Cairo-based DJ Baset and Polish-born producer ANII.

Contacts with organisers

Geadi said the organisers informed him on Wednesday morning that they were withdrawing from the event and that an official apology was expected in the coming days.

He said he contacted Serbian embassies in Cyprus, Brussels and Switzerland, before speaking with Serbian government officials, who told him they had no current involvement with the event or its organisers.

Geadi subsequently arranged a telephone conference with the organisers and their legal adviser on Monday. During the discussion, the organisers apologised and expressed their intention to withdraw, he said.

He also said he informed the Cypriot ambassador to Serbia of his contacts and continued discussions with those involved before receiving confirmation of the withdrawal on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Political opposition

The announcement follows several days of political opposition to the festival. Geadi said Elam had raised the issue and condemned the planned event at Kyrenia Castle.

“We chose not to make any of our actions public until there is a final result,” Geadi said, describing the outcome as “another important result for Cyprus”.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news