Thursday, 20 August Cyprus Nicosia +34°
News

Cyprus air traffic controllers cite safety concerns over Turkish aircraft and drones

Cyprus air traffic controllers said unauthorised Turkish military aircraft and drones are affecting flight safety near Larnaca and Paphos airports.

Cyprus air traffic controllers cite safety concerns over Turkish aircraft and drones
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Nicosia, Cyprus. The Cyprus air traffic controllers’ union said on Thursday that flight safety in and around the island is being affected by unauthorised Turkish air force aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles operating in the region.

The union said the aircraft and drones operate almost constantly along critical routes and near Cyprus’ two aerodromes, Larnaca and Paphos airports.


Requests for comment

The Cyprus Mail sought to verify the reports with the civil aviation authority, which said it now requires direct permission from the transport ministry before speaking to the media.

The newspaper has also contacted the Turkish government and is awaiting a response.

Disputed airspace

Airspace in and around Cyprus is disputed. Turkish Cypriot authorities operate their own air traffic control system from northern Nicosia, while the Republic of Cyprus’ civil aviation authority claims responsibility for the airspace covering the entire island and its vicinity.

The dispute has previously resulted in competing notices to airmen, or Notams, concerning possible military activity above and around the island.

Previous notices

In March, Turkey and the Republic of Cyprus issued Notams after Turkey and Greece deployed F-16 fighter jets to the island following a drone strike on the British Akrotiri air force base.

The Republic of Cyprus initially issued a Notam concerning possible military operations off the coast of the Karpas peninsula. Turkish Cypriot authorities subsequently issued their own notice, advising all aircraft in the region to take maximum precautions, follow published aeronautical information and coordinate with relevant air traffic units.

The north’s ‘transport ministry’ said it was disappointed that the initial notice had been issued without Turkish Cypriot consent, stating that “the TRNC … is the sole authorised authority responsible for providing air traffic and aeronautical information systems within its airspace”.

Turkish defence ministry spokesman Rear Admiral Zeki Akturk later described the initial Notam as null and void, saying a Turkish Cypriot “counter-Notam” had invalidated it.

Training flights

The Turkish defence ministry has more recently announced training flights in the eastern Mediterranean.

On July 21, it said one such flight had taken place in international airspace in the Mediterranean, south of Cyprus.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news