Sunday, 23 August Cyprus Nicosia +28°
News

Man remanded over alleged online banking fraud in Paphos

A 28-year-old man was remanded for five days after police investigated the alleged theft of more than €6,800 from a 49-year-old man's bank accounts.

Man remanded over alleged online banking fraud in Paphos
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Paphos, Cyprus. A 28-year-old man was remanded in custody for five days by Paphos district court on Sunday in connection with an online banking fraud investigation.

The case concerns the alleged withdrawal of more than €6,800 from two bank accounts belonging to a 49-year-old man.


Complaint and investigation

The case was reported to police in February by the 49-year-old, who said he received a call on his mobile phone displaying the name of an online bank where he held an account.

According to police, the caller told him that attempts were being made to gain unauthorised access to his account and asked him to provide his personal banking credentials.

After providing the information, the man later discovered that more than €6,800 had been taken from two of his bank accounts.

Arrest

Police subsequently obtained an arrest warrant for the 28-year-old.

He was arrested at Larnaca airport on Saturday while attempting to leave Cyprus.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news