Advertising
News
To the list of news

18 May 2026
Cyprus says it was not notified of Gaza Sumud flotilla interceptions in eastern Mediterranean

Nicosia, Cyprus. President Nikos Christodoulides said Cypriot authorities have not been formally notified about the interception of boats sailing towards Gaza in the eastern Mediterranean. He said Cyprus would respond if asked for help, noting the activity was in international waters.


Christodoulides comments on notification and rescue readiness

Speaking to journalists outside a business award ceremony on Monday evening, Christodoulides said Cyprus had not been notified. “No, we have not been notified, and of course, if we are asked for help, we will respond. It is in international waters. If help is requested from the Republic of Cyprus, the joint rescue coordination centre [JRCC] is ready to respond,” he said.

JRCC says flotilla and Israeli navy were not in Cypriot waters

His comments followed a statement from the JRCC saying neither the flotilla nor the Israeli navy were in Cypriot waters at any point. “In relation to the international flotilla which was sailing towards Gaza, it is noted that it never entered the territorial waters of the Republic of Cyprus. The passage and any related activity took place in international waters, at a distance of 90 nautical miles from Cyprus,” it said.

Reports of interceptions and flotilla response

The Times of Israel reported that 16 vessels had been intercepted as of Monday afternoon, with more than 50 vessels having set sail from the Turkish port of Marmaris earlier in the week. The Global Sumud flotilla, which organises the flotilla, said that “military vessels are currently intercepting our fleet and IOF forces are boarding the first of our boats in broad daylight,” and demanded “safe passage for our legal, non-violent humanitarian mission”.

Netanyahu statement on interceptions

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the Israeli navy did “an outstanding job” in intercepting the flotilla and that its sailors “are effectively thwarting a malicious plan intended to break the isolation we are imposing Hamas terrorists in Gaza”. He added: “You are doing this with great success, and I must say also, quietly, and certainly with less publicity than our enemies expected.”

Israeli embassy in Nicosia comments

The Israeli embassy in Nicosia attributed the flotilla’s actions to “two violent Turkish groups”, telling the Cyprus Mail that the voyage had been organised by “Mavi Marmara” and “IHH”.


What do you think Cyprus’s role should be if assistance is requested during incidents in international waters near the island?

Показать комментарии
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments