Advertising
News
To the list of news

21 May 2026
Iran reviews U.S. position as Trump warns of renewed attacks without deal

Tehran, Iran. Iran said it is reviewing Washington’s latest position on ending the war after U.S. President Donald Trump said he could wait a few days for answers from Tehran but warned of renewed attacks without a deal.


Iran says it received U.S. views

Iran has received U.S. views and is reviewing them, Iranian state-run agency Nour News quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying.

Baghaei said Pakistan, which hosted peace talks last month and is acting as the conduit for messages between Tehran and Washington, continues to mediate, with several rounds of communication having taken place. Pakistan’s interior minister was in Tehran on Wednesday.

Ceasefire holds as talks show little progress

Six weeks after a fragile ceasefire came into force, talks to end the war have shown little progress, while rising oil prices have raised concerns about inflation and the impact on the global economy.

Trump is also under pressure at home ahead of midterm elections in November, with his approval rating nearing its lowest level since he returned to the White House amid higher fuel prices.

Trump signals short timeline and renews warnings

Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews that if the United States did not get the “right answers,” “it goes very quickly,” adding that “we’re all ready to go.” Asked how long he would wait, he said it could be a few days but could also go quickly.

Earlier in the day, Trump reiterated he was determined not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon, saying the situation was in its final stages and that the outcome would be either a deal or actions he described as “a little bit nasty.” He added that he would prefer fewer people killed rather than more and said, “We can do it either way.”

Revolutionary Guards issue warning

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards warned against renewed attacks, saying in a statement that if aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war would extend beyond the region this time.

Iran submits offer and outlines demands

Iran submitted its latest offer to the United States this week. Tehran’s descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets, and the withdrawal of U.S. troops.

Strait of Hormuz restrictions and transit authorisation

The Strait of Hormuz, which carried a fifth of oil and liquefied natural gas shipments before the war, has been largely closed since the war began, in what was described as the most serious disruption to global energy supplies in history.

On Wednesday, Iran released a map showing a “controlled maritime zone” at the strait and said transit would require authorisation from an authority set up to control the area. Iran said it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms, a move that could potentially include access fees, which Washington has said would be unacceptable.


What impact do you think continued restrictions at the Strait of Hormuz could have on global energy markets?

Показать комментарии
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments