Advertising
News
To the list of news

20 May 2026
Iran warns war could spread beyond Middle East if U.S. attacks again

Tehran, Iran. Iran warned on Wednesday that conflict could spread beyond the Middle East if the United States attacks again, after President Donald Trump said he had come within an hour of restarting the military campaign. Talks to end the war have largely stalled six weeks after Trump paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire.


Trump comments on possible renewed campaign

Trump said on Monday and again on Tuesday that he had come close to ordering a new bombing campaign but delayed it to allow more time for diplomacy. “I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

Iran’s offer and demands

Iran submitted a new offer to the United States this week, but its public accounts repeat terms previously rejected by Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the area.

Iran threatens broader retaliation

Iran has repeatedly threatened to retaliate for any new attacks by striking countries in the Middle East that house U.S. bases. On Wednesday, it suggested it would also hit targets further afield. “If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement carried on state media.

Strait of Hormuz disruptions and signs of easing for some countries

Iran has largely shut the Strait of Hormuz to all ships apart from its own since the U.S.-Israeli campaign began in February, causing the biggest disruption to global energy supplies in history. The United States responded last month with its own blockade of Iran’s ports.

Two giant Chinese tankers carrying around 4 million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday, a signal Iran is willing to ease its blockade for countries it considers friendly. Iran announced last week, while Trump was in Beijing for a summit, that it had reached an agreement to ease rules for Chinese ships.

South Korea’s foreign minister said on Wednesday a Korean tanker was crossing the strait in cooperation with Iran.


How do you think renewed military action would affect global energy supplies and shipping through the Strait of Hormuz?

Показать комментарии
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments