Ankara, Turkey. Israeli forces intercepted 39 vessels from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday, prompting Turkey to condemn the operation and demand the safe return of its nationals on board.
Interception in the eastern Mediterranean
The Global Sumud Flotilla, described as a 54-vessel convoy carrying 426 participants from 39 countries, set sail from southern Turkey on Thursday in a third attempt to deliver aid to Gaza after earlier missions were intercepted by Israel. Live video showed military vessels approaching the flotilla’s boats on Monday, with Israeli forces boarding the first vessel.
The flotilla said on X that military vessels were intercepting the fleet and forces were boarding the first boat in daylight, and it demanded safe passage for what it called a legal, non-violent humanitarian mission. The group said remaining ships were continuing to sail toward Gaza.
Israel’s foreign ministry said it would not allow any breach of what it called the lawful naval blockade on Gaza, and urged all participants to change course and turn back.
Turkey’s response and nationals aboard
The flotilla identified 44 Turkish nationals among those on the intercepted vessels, which it said were seized about 463 kilometres from Gaza. Turkey’s foreign ministry said Ankara was coordinating with other countries to secure their safe return.
President Tayyip Erdogan, speaking in Ankara, condemned the intervention against what he called the “voyagers of hope” and called on the international community to act against Israel’s actions.
Accounts from a vessel still at sea
A Turkish activist aboard the L’Arq vessel, which had not yet been intercepted and was about 215 nautical miles from Gaza, said he expected Israeli forces to board as it neared the enclave. Ahmet Soylemez said those on board did not know where the intercepted participants were or how many had been taken.
Previous flotilla attempts and aid dispute
A previous flotilla departed Spain on 12 April and was intercepted by Israeli forces, with more than 100 activists taken to Crete and two others detained in Israel. Last October, Israel halted another flotilla assembled by the same organisation, arresting Swedish activist Greta Thunberg and more than 450 participants.
Israel, which controls all access to the Gaza Strip, denies withholding supplies and says more than 1.58 million metric tonnes of humanitarian aid and thousands of tonnes of medical supplies have entered Gaza since October 2025. Palestinians, international aid bodies, Turkey and a number of other countries say supplies remain insufficient despite a ceasefire reached in October that included guarantees of increased aid deliveries.
Most of Gaza’s more than two million people have been displaced, with many living in bombed-out buildings, makeshift tents, or the ruins of destroyed homes.
What do you think the interception will mean for future attempts to deliver aid to Gaza by sea?
