Ankara, Turkey. Israeli forces opened fire on at least two vessels in an aid flotilla sailing toward Gaza on Tuesday, according to video footage and flotilla organisers. Israel said no live ammunition was used and there were no casualties.
Footage and Israeli response
Video from the flotilla’s livestream showed soldiers firing shots at two of the boats, though the type of ammunition was not clear.
“At no point was live ammunition fired,” the Israeli foreign ministry said in a statement.
“Following multiple warnings, non-lethal means were employed toward the vessel – not toward protesters – as a warning. No protesters were injured during this event,” it added, referring only to action against one vessel.
Flotilla claims and voyage details
The Global Sumud Flotilla said on its website that 48 vessels had been intercepted, with some 400 people detained and two boats still sailing in the eastern Mediterranean.
The group previously said 426 people from 39 countries were taking part in the flotilla.
Ships from the Global Sumud Flotilla set sail for a third time on Thursday from southern Turkey, after earlier attempts to deliver aid to Gaza were intercepted by Israel in international waters.
Israel’s position and political reaction
Israel’s foreign ministry said on X on Monday that it “will not allow any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza”.
Speaking in Ankara late on Monday, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan condemned the intervention against the “voyagers of hope” and called on the international community to act against Israel’s actions.
U.S. sanctions
The United States Treasury said on Tuesday it was imposing sanctions against four people associated with what it described as the “pro-Hamas” flotilla.
What impact do you think the incident will have on future aid flotillas sailing toward Gaza?
