Advertising
News
To the list of news

21 May 2026
Larnaca authorities to evacuate 24-flat building declared dangerous

Larnaca, Cyprus. Authorities in Larnaca said measures will be taken over the next few days to evacuate a 24-flat building in the Faneromeni area that has been declared dangerous. Officials said they are also concerned about the social aspect of the process.


Evacuation timeline and safety measures

Larnaca’s district government organisation (EOA) president Angelos Hadjicharalambous said on Thursday the building would have to be evacuated within three days. He said the area around the block would be fenced off and secured while work is carried out to fix the building.

Notices sent to owners and tenants

Hadjicharalambous told the Cyprus News Agency that letters to the owners were delivered on Wednesday and notices were posted in the building informing tenants that it was dangerous.

Previous warnings and current status

Hadjicharalambous said this was not the first time owners had been notified about issues. He said the first problems arose 10 years ago and owners received letters from the previous authority but did not act. He added that the building has now been declared dangerous.

Repair work and responsibility

Hadjicharalambous said a building declared dangerous does not necessarily have to be demolished, but works should be carried out to make it safe again. He said there are more such buildings and the EOA is assessing measures that may be needed, including evacuations.

Safety and owner obligations

Hadjicharalambous said the primary concern was public safety and that specific measures were taken after much consideration. He added that owners are responsible for maintaining and restoring their buildings, and that a decision to evacuate indicates a building is in very poor condition.


How do you think authorities should balance safety requirements with the social impact of evacuations?

Показать комментарии
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments