Wednesday, 19 August Cyprus Nicosia +27°
News

Cyprus not a target for Iran, government sources say

Cyprus government sources said Nicosia remains in contact with Tehran and dismissed reports that the island could be targeted in retaliation for a US offensive.

Cyprus not a target for Iran, government sources say
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Nicosia, Cyprus. Cyprus is not a target for Iran, government sources told the Cyprus Mail on Wednesday, following a Financial Times report that the island had been considered among potential targets for retaliation if the United States renewed an offensive against Tehran.

Foreign ministry sources said Nicosia remains in contact with Tehran and dismissed suggestions that the Republic faces a threat from Iran.


Financial Times report

The Financial Times reported that Iranian forces had assessed the possibility of striking US military assets in south-eastern Europe should US President Donald Trump escalate the conflict.

Citing two people close to the Iranian regime, the newspaper said potential targets examined included US assets in Bulgaria, where the Bezmer air base was approved for use by American refuelling aircraft last month.

One source cited by the Financial Times also named Cyprus among potential targets for retaliation.

Government response

Foreign ministry sources said similar reports and claims had emerged in the past.

“We are in contact with Iran and Cyprus is not a target,” a source said.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news