Tuesday, 18 August Cyprus Nicosia +27°
News

Cyprus reports no new confirmed foot and mouth disease cases

Veterinary authorities say nearly 800 samples have tested negative apart from two known cases, while vaccinations are expected to finish by November.

Cyprus reports no new confirmed foot and mouth disease cases
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Nicosia, Cyprus. No further confirmed cases of foot and mouth disease have been reported, with the overall situation described as stable by the veterinary association.

The association said almost 800 samples have been taken, with all negative except for two known cases in Avgorou and Pentakomo, which remain under investigation.


Vaccination progress

Head of the veterinary association Demetris Epaminondas said vaccinations were proceeding as planned.

Vaccination coverage has reached 100 per cent in Famagusta, while programmes in Larnaca and Nicosia are almost complete. Limassol is at a very good stage, he said.

Paphos is behind schedule, but all vaccinations are expected to be completed by the end of November.

Cullings and outbreak

Epaminondas said no further animals had been culled. The number of killed animals remains at approximately 80,000.

Foot and mouth disease first broke out in Cyprus in February 2026.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news