Israel defends closure of probe into strike on Cyprus aid convoy
Israel said its military found no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct in the 2024 strike that killed seven World Central Kitchen workers.

Nicosia, Cyprus. Israel’s foreign ministry has defended the decision to close an investigation into airstrikes that killed seven aid workers transporting humanitarian goods sent from Cyprus to Gaza in April 2024.
Strike on aid convoy
Three simultaneous Israel Defence Forces airstrikes hit a convoy carrying aid sent from Cyprus through the island’s Amalthea humanitarian aid corridor. The convoy was travelling overland from Israel’s Mediterranean coast to the Gaza Strip on the night of April 1, 2024.
Israeli response
Israel’s foreign ministry said the country had immediately opened an examination of the incident, identified operational failures and taken significant command and disciplinary measures.
It said the decision not to pursue a criminal investigation was made by Israel’s independent military prosecution authorities on the basis of professional and legal considerations.
“The decision not to pursue [a] criminal investigation was made by Israel’s independent military prosecution authorities on the basis of strict professional and legal considerations. It is based on the legal threshold required for initiating [a] criminal investigation,” the ministry said.
It said the threshold for opening a criminal investigation was reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct, and that the Israeli military had concluded that no such misconduct had been committed in relation to the airstrikes.
“Israel, which is deeply committed to international law, subjects its military operations to rigorous legal scrutiny, including standards that exceed those applied by many western armed forces in recent conflicts,” it said.
The ministry said Israel was committed to the safety of humanitarian personnel, compliance with international humanitarian law and preventing similar tragedies.
It also expressed condolences to the families of the seven World Central Kitchen aid workers, who it said died under deeply regrettable circumstances.
Joint condemnation
Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom on Friday issued a joint statement condemning Israel’s closure of the investigation, describing the decision as “shameful”.
“The announcement by the IDF on August 19 … that it would not pursue criminal investigations into this strike, without further explanation, is shameful,” the three countries said.
They added that announcing the decision on World Humanitarian Day, while the world honoured the courage and sacrifice of humanitarian workers, was particularly egregious.
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


