Monk accused of attempted murder referred to Paphos criminal court
A 51-year-old monk accused of stabbing two men at Saint Neophytos monastery will appear before the Paphos criminal court on October 7.

Paphos, Cyprus. A 51-year-old monk accused of the attempted murder of a 53-year-old employee at Saint Neophytos monastery in Tala was referred to the Paphos criminal court on Friday, with a trial date set for October 7.
The court is due to decide on August 18 whether he will remain in custody until his next appearance.
Court proceedings
During Friday’s proceedings, defence lawyer Alexandros Alexandrou said the chances of his client’s conviction were “almost non-existent” and rejected suggestions that the monk posed a flight risk.
Alexandrou described the monk as “highly regarded by the people of the Paphos district” and said he had no reason or motive to leave Cyprus.
The prosecuting authority requested that the monk remain in custody until his appearance before the Paphos criminal court.
Charges and allegations
The monk faces charges of attempted murder, transportation of an offensive instrument and stabbing.
He was arrested on August 7 after a fight at the monastery concerning his occupation of two cells, one of which had previously been occupied by his father.
According to sources, a delegation of priests visited the monastery and recommended that the monk hand over the keys to his cell and leave it.
The monk allegedly reacted by stabbing a 53-year-old monastery worker in the throat with a sharp object. He is also alleged to have attacked a 27-year-old priest, injuring his hand with a sharp object.
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


