Wednesday, 19 August Cyprus Nicosia +23°
News

Monk remanded until October 7 over attempted murder allegation at Tala monastery

A 51-year-old monk accused of attacking a monastery employee in Tala will remain in custody until October 7 after a Paphos court cited a flight risk.

Monk remanded until October 7 over attempted murder allegation at Tala monastery
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Tala, Cyprus. A 51-year-old monk accused of attempted murder at Ayios Neophytos monastery will remain in custody until October 7 after the Paphos district court ruled that he could flee before his case is heard. He is accused of attacking a 53-year-old monastery employee with a paper cutter during a dispute over a cell key on August 7.


Court decision

The court cited the seriousness of the charges in ordering the remand, intended to rule out a risk of absconding.

The monk’s lawyer, Alexandros Alexandrou, opposed his continued detention, arguing that the likelihood of a conviction was “almost non-existent”. Alexandrou also said the monk had no reason or motive to leave the country.

Alleged dispute

The case concerns an alleged confrontation at the monastery in the Paphos district village of Tala over the use of a cell.

According to evidence presented in court, the monk had occupied two rooms for several years, including one previously used by his late father.

The monastery said he had refused for about four years to surrender the cell despite repeated requests. It said the abbot had shown “patience and understanding” before asking him again to hand over the space on the morning of the alleged attack.

The investigating officer told the court that the abbot asked the monk to hand over the key after inspecting the cell.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news