Thursday, 20 August Cyprus Nicosia +26°
News

Police probe into firing range fire reportedly finds no criminal liability

The police dossier on last month’s fire during munitions destruction has been sent to the attorney-general’s office for a decision on possible prosecution.

Police probe into firing range fire reportedly finds no criminal liability
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Nicosia, Cyprus. Defence sources declined to comment on reports that a police investigation into last month’s fire at a firing range found no criminal liability. The case file has been forwarded to the attorney-general’s office, which will decide whether to bring charges.


Police investigation

Politis reported earlier on Thursday that the criminal investigation did not assign criminal responsibility for the fire, which broke out during the destruction of munitions at a firing range.

The military told the Cyprus Mail it would not comment until the attorney-general announces a decision.

Military inquiry

Defence sources also declined to comment on reports that the National Guard’s internal investigation identified disciplinary offences.

According to Politis, the military inquiry pointed to the 70th Engineers Battalion, which was responsible for destroying the munitions on the day of the fire.

It had previously been reported that, once the findings of the military inquiry are formally considered, National Guard chief Lieutenant-General Emmanouel Theodorou would decide on any disciplinary sanctions.

Disciplinary process

Defence sources said disciplinary sanctions are not automatic, as military personnel have the right to defend themselves before a military tribunal.

In extreme cases, depending on the infraction, an officer could face discharge from the military.

Sanctions are initially decided by the commanding officer of the unit concerned before being reviewed further up the National Guard’s chain of command.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news