UK says RAF Akrotiri has robust security amid reports of possible Iranian retaliation
The UK Ministry of Defence said RAF Akrotiri’s security is under constant review after reports that Iranian forces assessed potential targets in south-eastern Europe.

Nicosia, Cyprus. The UK Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday that RAF Akrotiri is protected by “robust, multi-layered security measures” following reports that it had been considered among possible targets for Iranian retaliation in the event of a renewed US offensive against Tehran.
The Cyprus government said it remains in contact with Iran and that Cyprus is not a target.
UK security response
Responding to the Cyprus Mail, a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said the security of British personnel, bases and assets was its highest priority.
“RAF Akrotiri is protected by robust, multi-layered security measures, which we keep under constant review. For reasons of operational security, we do not comment on the details of these measures,” the spokesperson said.
The ministry said the British bases in Cyprus play a crucial role in supporting the safety of British citizens and allies in the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
Financial Times report
The response followed a Financial Times report which said Iranian forces had assessed the possibility of striking US military assets in south-eastern Europe if US President Donald Trump escalated the conflict.
Citing two people close to the Iranian regime, the newspaper reported that Akrotiri was among the potential targets examined. It said other sites included US assets in Bulgaria, where Bezmer air base was approved for use by American refuelling aircraft last month.
Cyprus government position
Cyprus government sources told the Cyprus Mail that Cyprus is not a target.
Foreign ministry sources said similar reports and claims had emerged previously and that Nicosia remains in communication with Tehran.
“We are in contact with Iran, and Cyprus is not a target,” a source said, dismissing the suggestion that the Republic faces a threat from Tehran.
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


