The fire in Kakopetria village started on Monday morning. The workers, who were repairing the 80-year-old building, got cold and decided to lit up the chimney in order to warm up, which consequently caused the fire.
The eye witnesses of the fire immediately informed the emergency services, however the fire manged to destroy the local library and several shops.
The firefighters managed to spot the fire from spreading on the neighboring buildings of police and post office. No humans were injured. The head of the Community Ioannis Iakovides said that the fire was an enormous stress for the residents of the community.