London, United Kingdom. British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Monday he remained focused on doing his job, despite mounting pressure from within his Labour Party to quit after poor local election results.
Pressure after local election losses
Heavy losses for Labour in the May 7 elections prompted almost a quarter of Starmer’s lawmakers to call for him to go, while two rivals are openly vying to replace him. The developments have unsettled investors, who have pushed up the government’s borrowing costs.
Starmer’s remarks at party headquarters
“I am focused on the job that I was asked to do, which is to serve my country and to carry out my duties as prime minister of this country,” Starmer told staff during a visit to the Labour Party’s headquarters.
Deputy prime minister comments and media reports
Earlier, Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy said Starmer would not be setting out a timetable for his departure. His comments followed weekend media reports that Starmer was weighing whether to announce a plan to step down.
Potential challengers and contest threshold
Lawmaker Wes Streeting, who quit as health minister last week, said on Saturday he would stand in any formal leadership contest. Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham is seeking a seat in parliament that would allow him to make a challenge as well.
Starmer has repeatedly said he intends to fight any leadership challenge. Any candidate would need the support of 20% of Labour members of parliament to mount a challenge; with Labour holding 403 seats, that equates to 81 backers.
What do you think will be the key factor shaping whether a formal Labour leadership challenge emerges?
