Tuesday, 18 August Cyprus Nicosia +33°
News

British defence minister resigns over dispute on military spending

British defence minister resigns over dispute on military spending
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

London, United Kingdom. British defence minister John Healey resigned on Thursday amid a dispute over military spending, accusing Prime Minister Keir Starmer of failing to commit the resources needed to defend the country.


Resignation letter cites funding dispute

In his resignation letter to Starmer, Healey said the prime minister had been unable and the Treasury had been unwilling to commit the resources the nation needed to defend itself at a time of rising threats.

Talks delay defence investment plan

Britain’s defence and finance ministries have been in talks for months over how to meet rising demands to expand military spending. The dispute has delayed Britain’s Defence Investment Plan since last year.

Industry reaction

The delay has angered Britain’s defence industry, which says it cannot invest in long-term programmes for the country’s security during a period of geopolitical volatility and as the United States shifts away from protecting Europe.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news