Education ministry support programme staff protest over service recognition
Education ministry support programme employees called for recognition of their full service and clearer employment and pay arrangements.

Nicosia, Cyprus. Employees working in education ministry support programmes protested outside the ministry on Wednesday, calling for their full service to be recognised and for clearer arrangements on employment and pay. Representatives of permanent and fixed-term staff submitted a memorandum to the ministry’s permanent secretary, Marios Panayides.
Ministry response
Panayides said the ministry was working with employees and unions to address their concerns.
“We are trying to help and address all the problems,” he said, adding that legislation had recently been approved to convert eligible workers to indefinite contracts.
He said the ministry would implement the legislation and make the necessary announcements as soon as possible, while seeking to employ both permanent staff and fixed-term workers according to programme needs.
Service and income concerns
The employees said their years of service had been fragmented because many had moved between different support programmes under ministry decisions.
“We are asking for the obvious, that our real service and contribution be recognised,” delegation member Eugenia Andreou said.
Andreou said some workers remained outside the indefinite employment framework despite having no control over transfers between programmes. She also raised concerns about workers being left without adequate income during the summer.
“Workers with families and obligations are left for months without salary and without benefits,” Andreou said.
Panayides said eligibility for unemployment benefits fell under the labour ministry, adding that the education ministry had submitted the names of workers entitled to receive them.
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


