Iran says Cyprus faces no threat unless British bases are used against Tehran
Iranian diplomatic sources said Cyprus is not at risk of strikes provided British bases on the island are not used in operations against Iran.

Nicosia, Cyprus. Iranian diplomatic sources said on Thursday that Cyprus faces no threat as long as British bases on the island are not used in operations against the Islamic Republic. The comments followed a Financial Times report that Iran was considering possible retaliation against European territory used against it.
Financial Times report
The Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing Iranian “insiders”, that Tehran was considering scenarios in which a future conflict could extend beyond the Middle East to European territory used against Iran, including Cyprus.
According to the newspaper, Iranian forces had assessed options for striking US military targets in south-eastern Europe as part of preparations for a possible renewed US offensive.
Two people described by the Financial Times as regime insiders said Bulgaria was among the countries considered after Sofia approved the use of Bezmer air base by US refuelling aircraft last month.
One source told the newspaper that Cyprus was also among potential targets for retaliation.
Cypriot response
Cypriot government sources later downplayed the report, telling the Cyprus Mail that the island was not a target for Iran.
Foreign ministry sources said similar reports and claims had emerged previously and that Nicosia remained in communication with Tehran.
Diplomatic channels
Iranian diplomatic sources said on Thursday that diplomatic channels between Nicosia and Tehran remained “open and active”.
Asked specifically about the Financial Times report, the sources said statements attributed to Iranian insiders “are not always reliable and often reflect speculation or reactions to threats from other parties”.
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


