US Supreme Court lets White House ballroom construction continue temporarily
The US Supreme Court paused an order halting much of the Trump administration’s $400 million White House ballroom project.

Washington, United States. The US Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump’s administration to continue construction of its White House ballroom project temporarily, pausing a judicial order that would have halted much of the development.
The administrative stay gives the justices more time to consider the administration’s request to continue work on the $400 million project while a lawsuit by the National Trust for Historic Preservation proceeds.
Security arguments
In an August 14 filing, Justice Department lawyers said the project was necessary for security, citing assassination attempts against Trump and other recent threats.
The department said the East Wing project includes an above-ground ballroom and an extensive underground complex containing bomb shelters, medical facilities, protection from drones and missiles, and other security features.
“The case involves an extraordinary and unlawful injunction that will halt the ongoing construction of the integrated military complex, including a totally secure ballroom space, at the East Wing of the White House, which is vitally required by national security,” the lawyers wrote.
Preservation lawsuit
The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued last year after the administration demolished the White House East Wing and began building the 90,000-square-foot, or 8,360-square-metre, ballroom without seeking specific congressional approval.
Trump has said the ballroom would be “the greatest of its kind ever built.”
The Justice Department said the overall East Wing project, including the underground facilities and ballroom, was 65 per cent complete as of its August 14 filing.
Lower court rulings
On August 7, the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld, in a 2-1 ruling, an order by US District Judge Richard Leon directing the administration to halt above-ground construction. The order had been due to take effect on Friday.
Leon’s order did not permanently block the ballroom project. It barred above-ground work while allowing below-ground construction and work considered strictly necessary for White House safety and security to continue.
“Each President is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House,” the appeals court said, adding that a president cannot fundamentally reshape the building without congressional approval.
The court also said national security arguments “are not an automatic get-out-of-law-free card.”
This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →


