Thursday, 20 August Cyprus Nicosia +28°
News

Australia demands justice after Israel drops proceedings over Gaza aid workers’ deaths

Australia condemned Israel’s decision not to pursue criminal proceedings over the 2024 killing of seven aid workers delivering Cyprus-sent aid to Gaza.

Australia demands justice after Israel drops proceedings over Gaza aid workers’ deaths
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Canberra, Australia. Foreign Minister Penny Wong said Australia was “outraged” by Israel’s decision not to pursue criminal proceedings against those responsible for the killing of seven aid workers transporting humanitarian goods sent from Cyprus to Gaza in 2024.

She said the decision, announced on World Humanitarian Day, fell short of the accountability Australia expected and that the government would continue pressing Israel for justice.


Airstrikes on aid convoy

Three simultaneous airstrikes hit a humanitarian aid convoy on the night of April 1, 2024. The convoy was carrying aid sent from Cyprus through the Amalthea humanitarian aid corridor and transported overland from Israel’s Mediterranean coast to the Gaza Strip.

Seven people were killed, including Australian national Zomi Frankcom.

Australian response

Wong said the Australian government learned of Israel’s decision late the previous night, shortly before it was publicly announced.

“The Australian government learned of Israel’s decision late last night, moments before it was announced, on World Humanitarian Day – which is especially insulting to Zomi’s loved ones, humanitarians, and all Australians. Zomi represented the best of Australia. Her courage deserves to be celebrated. Her family deserves justice,” she said.

Wong said Israel’s decision not to pursue criminal proceedings “falls far short of the accountability we expect”.

She referred to Israel Defence Forces admissions that the strikes on Frankcom and her colleagues’ vehicles resulted from serious failures to follow IDF procedures, mistaken identification and errors in decision-making. She said these findings were confirmed in a report by Australian Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin.

Diplomatic action

Wong said democracies should seek and accept higher standards than those displayed by the Israeli authorities.

“The Australian government will not stop pressing Israel for justice for Zomi and her colleagues,” she said.

Wong said she would call in Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, and had directed Australia’s ambassador to Israel to convey Canberra’s views directly to Israeli authorities as the government considered its next steps.

Cyprus reaction and aid impact

At the time of the attack, Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides described it as a “sad day”. European Parliament President Roberta Metsola, who was visiting Cyprus to inspect preparations for the Amalthea corridor, said humanitarian organisations must be protected.

Cypriot Foreign Minister Constantinos Kombos said questions would need to be answered by Israel.

Following the attack, 240 tonnes of the 330 tonnes of humanitarian aid sent from Larnaca port to Israel returned to Cyprus unloaded. American charity World Central Kitchen, which had been distributing the aid, temporarily suspended its operations.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news