Tuesday, 18 August Cyprus Nicosia +25°
News

Hegseth Rejects Reports of Poor Conditions Aboard USS Abraham Lincoln

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said reports of poor conditions and declining morale aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln were misrepresented.

Hegseth Rejects Reports of Poor Conditions Aboard USS Abraham Lincoln
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Panama City, Panama. U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Thursday that reports of poor conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East had been “completely misrepresented.”

The carrier, with a crew of about 5,000, has been at sea since November 2025 and in the Middle East since January, supporting the U.S. war with Iran.


Reports on conditions

Military-focused outlets Navy Times and Stars and Stripes reported suicide attempts and declining morale aboard the carrier.

Hegseth said the U.S. military seeks to provide ships, crews and captains with necessary support, acknowledging that some deployments last longer than others.

“We make sure every ship, every crew, every captain has everything we can provide them at every single moment,” Hegseth told reporters during a visit to Panama. He said sailors operating in austere conditions with fewer port calls had his respect and gratitude.

Deployment and replacement plans

Naval deployments typically last between six and nine months, although they can be extended during conflicts.

Extended deployments can place strain on crews’ mental health, particularly during wartime, when sailors must remain alert amid the threat of Iranian drone and missile attacks.

A U.S. official, speaking anonymously, said the aircraft carrier George Washington was heading to the region to replace the Abraham Lincoln. The official said the move had been planned in advance.

Lawmakers raise concerns

Democratic lawmakers criticised the extended deployment and reported conditions aboard the ship.

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal wrote to Hegseth and the Navy secretary this week, citing reports of shortages of basic supplies, water contamination, plumbing problems, deteriorating mental health, deck safety concerns and disruptions to the mail system.

Blumenthal said the reported mail disruptions had resulted in care packages intended for the ship being lost in transit for months.

White House spokesperson Olivia Wales said President Donald Trump and Hegseth were committed to ensuring the U.S. military had the resources needed to counter threats to the United States.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news