Monday, 17 August Cyprus Nicosia +25°
News

Man remanded in north over alleged sexual abuse of 14-year-old in Nicosia

A 20-year-old Turkmenistan national was remanded for three days as police investigate allegations involving a 14-year-old child.

Man remanded in north over alleged sexual abuse of 14-year-old in Nicosia
Photo: illustrative photo · Cyprus Inform

Nicosia, Cyprus. A 20-year-old man has been remanded in police custody for three days in the north while authorities investigate allegations that he sexually abused a 14-year-old child, Turkish Cypriot media reported on Sunday.

The suspect, a Turkmenistan national, appeared in court after his arrest on a charge of sexual assault of a child under 16.


Investigation

A police officer told the court that the alleged incident occurred at an empty construction site at a school in Nicosia at an unspecified time in 2025.

Police were alerted to the allegations after the child’s mother found screenshots of WhatsApp conversations involving her daughter on a cloud storage application linked to their shared email account.

Evidence and examinations

Police seized the suspect’s mobile phone and the child’s phone for examination.

Authorities told the court that the suspect had given a voluntary statement admitting the allegations, though the statement would need to be verified and supported by further evidence.

The child is also expected to undergo a medical examination.

Court hearing

The suspect told the court that the child had been his girlfriend and expressed remorse.

The court ordered his remand for three days to allow the investigation to continue.

Breaking Cyprus news on Telegram Subscribe to be the first to know about the island's key events.
Subscribe
How this material was prepared

This news item was generated automatically by Cyprus Inform from publicly available materials. Report an error →

Leave a comment

Similar newsAll news